OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had my last period on May the 9th and i recently took a

Customer Question
hello my name is***** had...
hello my name is***** had my last period on May the 9th and i recently took a pregnancy test on June 9th and 10th and the pregnancy test came out negative. i took another test on the 14th that showed positive. I have had one live birth and had one abortion in the past. I had no complications during my pregnancy with my daughter. we took like five test that showed i was pregnant. i have been taking prenatal for 2 months now because be been trying to conceive. I went to my doctor yesterday and she confirmed i was pregnant. i have not had much symptoms. she said based on my last period i should be around 6 weeks so she to walk to the next room where her tech will be do the ultrasound and then she comes in does it instead. i guess the tech had left. she did a vaginal ultrasound and said the only thing she sees is a sac but no baby. She said i might have gotten pregnant earlier then what i thought and that it is to early to tell. she told me to go get blood work done to see if my hormones are increasing to know if the baby is growing normally. i am so worried she showed mt the picture of the ultrasound and it looks like she didnt even zoom in because i can see something in the sac. my question is do you think my baby is healthy and that its still to early or that my baby is not growing? i cant wait for the results monday. i would like to know something based on what i describe. please help. thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/24/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

How many days are in you usual cycle? Thank you.

7 days
I what is your cycle length from first day of one period to first day of the next period>
oh i really dont know because it changes but around 32

Because of your longer cycle than average, plus the fact that your pregnancy test was negative on June 10, I think that you're not quite 6 weeks pregnant, so it's not surprising that the embryo and heartbeat were not seen on the ultrasound. They usually aren't seen until at least 6 weeks. It's normal that just a sac would be seen, although usually a yolk sac would also be seen.

So if there was no yolk sac, that's worrisome. If the doctor didn't look closely for a yolk sac, then perhaps it was there.

Measuring hcg can be helpful to know whether they are normal or not, but most likely you won't know anything for certain until you have the next ultrasound. Best wishes.

if that was the case would i have a miscarriage soon
also would i know that i miscarrige
If you are going to have a miscarriage, you may not have any signs of a miscarriage for several more weeks. So if it's a miscarriage, you'll probably know it sooner from the ultrasound than from symptom.
Of course, it's possible that you might start bleeding and have a miscarriage soon, but often a miscarriage doesn't occur for weeks after a pregnancy dies.
It's still too early to know.
will those test confirm anything? also do you think i should be worried?
I would be somewhat worried, but I think everything may be completely normal.
The hcg testing will show whether hcg is rising normally or not. Often with a miscarriage, the hcg doesn't rise normally. A normal rise means that hcg doubles every 2-3 days.
If the hcg is not rising normally, that generally means it will be a miscarriage.
If the hcg is rising normally, that usually means a normal pregnancy, but you'll still have to wait for the ultrasound to be sure.
ok and last question what would be the cause of a miscarriage?
she said i could only be like 2 to 3 weeks pregnant.
Most miscarriages are caused by chromosomal abnormalities. It's nature's way of preventing the birth of abnormal babies. Usually we never know that for sure in each case, but studies of many pregnancies have confirmed it.
Yes. When we say a woman is 5 weeks pregnant, it actually means that she got pregnant 3 weeks ago. We still date pregnancies from first day of last period, whenever the period actually occurred. So a 40 week pregnancy actually began 38 weeks ago.
because what i was found online was lot of ultrasound pics that look like mine a small whole with a little something in there. Could the sac be there but the yolk hasnt make its way yet? i think what she told me was that she does not see a baby just a sac and yolk
If she saw a sac with a yolk sac inside, that's very good news. You're probably just 5 1/2-6 weeks, and that's what we expect to see at that stage.
then why would she have me take those test
Because you're anxious to know whether this will be a miscarriage or not. The hormone tests will give you an idea, although you'll still need to wait for an ultrasound to be sure.
I have to leave for about 30 minutes. I'll be back as soon as possible if you have further questions. I'm sorry
ok thank you very much.
You're welcome. I hope all goes well.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN