Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am a 45 year old otherwise healthy female About 6

Customer Question

Hello. I am a 45 year old otherwise healthy female
About 6 months ago I developed a small white bump (the size of a small pea) on my right labia majora. It was annoying and slightly painful but thats all. This week, I have 5-6 of these bumps (all around the first one). They are not draining or ozzing any fluid, yet they are uncomfortable. Do I need to go see my OBGYN or will they go away in time. I do not wear tight pants or synthetic panties by the way.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.
I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble.
These are all most likely sebaceous or inclusion cysts. Blocked gland pore openings. Shaving actually tends to make them worse because it damages the tips of the pores and allows bacteria and dead skin to be pushed into the openings more easily.
If possible, it would be helpful to see an image of them. You can take a photo and use the paperclip icon on your screen to attach it into this session.
If blocked glands, you're on the right track, but we'd recommend more vigorous home treatment. The bath soaks or moist heat with a heating pad wrapped with a wet washcloth for 10 minutes at a time 4 times daily.
It can also help to do a good scrub with antibacterial soap and hot water (not too hot) to soften and loosen the dead skin blocking the pores and keeping them from draining.
You are correct that tight synthetic clothes increase the risk. But any sweaty rubbing, even hot weather with the skin folds rubbing can increase the chance of it happening.
So loose airy clothes as much as possible.
If this continues, it would be a good idea to follow-up with the gynecologist. And helpful if you've already done all of the above. Because if you haven't, that's what they are likely to tell you to do.
I hope this information was reassuring and helpful. Please reply if you have any further questions or would like to attach a photo for me to see.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any follow-up questions? If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks!