How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Your Own Question
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 3064
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the symptoms for yeast infections vs UTI. I have

Customer Question

What are the symptoms for yeast infections vs UTI. I have had a total hystawreckame (MS) and am having trouble figuring out if i have a yeast infec. or UTI
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne.

Classic symptoms of yeast include pretty intense itching and a curdy thick white discharge. Classic symptoms of a UTI are burning with urination and frequency. This means you just went and feel like going again.

Sometimes women can have some mild itching, burning, pain with urination and frequency due to low estrogen levels causing thinning of the tissue in the area.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do i take for a UTI. Do i needed a urine test?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.

Whether a urine test is needed or not depends on the situation. Usually not. If a women seems to be having repeated infections, then yes, she should come in since other conditions can mimic UTIs or she may have a strain resistant to the most commonly used antibiotics for treatment. Also if a woman is at or near menopause I usually have her come in since low estrogen levels will mimic UTI and/or cause recurrences if the health of the tissue isn't treated too.

Some women are able to flush out an early UTI by drinking a lot of water and taking cranberry extract. An over the counter medicine called Uristat can help relieve the spasms of the bladder temporarily. But if this doesn't help within 48 hours or symptoms get worse before that, an antibiotic is needed.

Anything else I can help with?