Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I'm 36 years old and became pregnant for the first time in

Customer Question

I'm 36 years old and became pregnant for the first time in November of 2014. When I went to the doctor at 15 weeks, I was told that the baby had no heartbeat. At that time, I scheduled a D&C. The D&C took place but I felt like I was still pregnant a couple
days later, nausea and tired. When I went back to the obgyn, I told him this. He didn't think it was anything but scheduled for me to have an ultra sound. At the ultra sound, it was discovered that everything hadn't been removed, and my stomach had actually
continued to grow even bigger. He called several doctors in to view the screen and ultimately told me I'd have to go in for another D&C. This time another doctor would have to do it because he was going to be out of time. So, I went through another D&C. The
doctor assured us that everything was taken care of. A few weeks later, I was on vacation in Mexico and started bleeding. It was a little bit at first but then became even worse. This happened for a few days and then on the last day we were there, I had severe
pain in my stomach. We found an obgyn in Mexico. The doctor there removed a large piece of the placenta from me. He also told me that my uterus was backwards and that the doctors in the United States were wrong in not completing the D&C correctly. My question
is three-fold: First of all, do the doctors in the US hold any legal responsibility for the failed D&Cs? Can I be reimbursed for what I had to pay for co-pays, the doctor in Mexico, etc. I did call the doctor in the United States, and I was told by a secretary
he would call me back, but he avoided all conversation with me. Secondly, it's been 3 months since the placenta was removed. I just started my period and am wondering if it's safe to start trying again or if I should wait a little longer? Thirdly, does the
backwards placenta cause any issues that I should be aware of?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 2 years ago.

Hello

I can not comment on the legal part of failed DC in USA.But from your description it is clear that ultimately you cleared at present and there is no indication to get pregnancy. Back ward uterus (retroverted uterus) is not an issue of getting pregnancy.

Thank you