Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

My daughter is 6 wks with first pregnancy. She has extreme

Customer Question

my daughter is 6 wks with first pregnancy. She has extreme nausea (5 -6 times per day for last 12 days.) also is very exhausteed - in bed all of the time. Can hardly get to the bathroom herself. Obgyn has not done blood tests yet. She has given a vitamin that does not contain iron. The doctor told her not to take iron. Why ? I read pregnant women need 27 mg a day? Why would OBGYN say no iron?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Lawrence replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry that she is feeling this way. I would recommend that she be seen by her doctor and have blood and urine work to check for dehydration. Also, she may be further along than 6 weeks based on her symptoms, so testing for that with blood work and ultrasound may also be helpful. My suspicion is that the doctor told her not to take iron right now because iron supplements can upset the gastrointestinal tract. Overall in the pregnancy iron is important, but it is more important right now that she keep some fluids and a little food down and get her strength back. Forcing the iron now may be counterproductive. I would really recommend that she be seen by her doctor tomorrow and see if they can better assess her condition and also see if she needs some medications to help with the nausea. Best of luck. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thank you. Please click on excellent service.