OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am 68 years of age. I have a significant Rectocele

Customer Question
Hello, I am 68 years...
Hello, I am 68 years of age. I have a significant Rectocele affecting the quality of life. I am female. Carried twins overdue when this began. My doctor wants to do a colonoscopy and I'm worried. He is talking about a Rectocele repar later. I thought I would try a Pessary first. Don't know which kind to try and if that is a good idea. My Gyno years ago said the repair is usually 50 percent successful. My Gastrointerologist says repairs are 95 percent successful. I've heard from other women that it might not be worth having the colonoscopy with a Rectocele because of added risk. What say you?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/15/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
In general, surgical repair is much more successful with a rectocele than surgery for cystocele with stress incontinence. Results seem to vary depending on which study you read, and results certainly vary from surgeon to surgeon. However, I would say that the large majority of rectocele repairs are successful.
Pessaries can be somewhat difficult to fit, depending on how much support there is in your pelvis. There are a large number of different types of pessary, and usually each doctor will have certain pessaries that he/she favors.
I don't believe that a rectocele increases any risks for colonoscopy, including perforation risk. I would not worry about risk of colonoscopy, which is very low.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN