OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

A little about me- 45 F, 5"10, 135lbs, exercise 3-4 times a

Customer Question
Hi Dr- Hi! A little about...
Hi Dr-
Hi! A little about me-
45 F, 5"10, 135lbs, exercise 3-4 times a week. Good diet, etc.
Medical hx: spinal fusion (c5,6,7) 2003, no problems . I have bipolar 2 as well.
Meds: Wellbutrin, lamictal ( daily) occasionally I take klonipin at night only- I'm a paramedic, my sleep is all messed up with night shifts etc. the schedule isn't new for me, I know sometimes that can effect period right? also, I have a rx for Percocet 10/325 for the neck pain that I occasionally get from the surgery. (Also all the lifting of patients! I work in San Francisco-- no elevators!)
Ok- problem- I was on birth control pills ( loestrin) that I quit about a year ago. I had been on it since I was 18-- long time! I had NO problems on the pill, in fact I hardly knew I had a period. No cramping, minimal blood flow, no Pms.
I put an iud in about a year ago( copper- no hormones). It's all fine, except..I now have cramping ( in lower back too), still no pms but a way heavier flow and I'm getting my period every other week.enough already!! I seem to have one heavy flow period ( 4 days ish) , then about 10 days later, bleeding again-- lasts about 4 days, not real heavy, but enough to really bug me. Also, this "period" has the brownish blood, but the other period is like a regular one.No brown blood in the heavy one. I am very vigilant in getting my exams- no issues there.
So what I'm asking is:
What's going on? Other than removing it, is there anything I can do to help this?
My ob said this is normal, but come on! A year of this??
Sorry for the long narrative, but I wanted you to get the picture.
ūüėĄRachel
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/15/2015
OB GYN Doctor: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
any other medical issues?
None
when was the last pap?
This could be fibroids or menopause
You need an examination, pelvic ultrasound and hormone levels tested Rachel
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor