Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Two days ago on day 24 of my cycle, without warning that my

Customer Question

Two days ago on day 24 of my cycle, without warning that my period was going to start, I spotted twice / once with pink discharge and once with brown - and then it stopped. I would normally expects period to start anytime in the next few days. What can
cause this?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a normal pelvic ultrasound a couple of months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
The most likely cause of your spotting is hormonal change related to your age. The hormonal change is likely related to not ovulating, which causes the uterine lining to build up extra, which results in spotting.
If that's what happened, then your expected period might also be late this month.
Women tend to ovulate less regularly during the 40's. As long as your periods are usually pretty regular, it will generally take care of itself. If the spotting occurs again, then it's best to see your doctor for evaluation.