OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Odds of being pregnant; LMP 5/31/15; unprotected intercourse…

Customer Question
odds of being pregnant; LMP...
odds of being pregnant; LMP 5/31/15; unprotected intercourse June 8; spotting today 6/13. ave cycle length approx 28.5 days, yet varies from 20-40 days
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/13/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 3 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
You're unlikely to get pregnant 9 days after your period starts, but it's not impossible. With the variation in your periods, it's likely that you don't ovulate some months.
The spotting doesn't mean much. It's unlikely to be implantation bleeding, if that's what you're wondering. With periods from 20-40 days, it's unusual if you haven't had some spotting during the month before this.
The negative ovulation test on 6/8 also doesn't mean much. You might have had a positive one on 6/9 or 6/10, in which case pregnancy could occur.
But altogether I would guess that the odds of being pregnant are less than 1 out of 10. Best wishes.