How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Your Own Question
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 3064
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am weaning off Zoloft and I have been hit with priapism.

Customer Question

I am weaning off Zoloft and I have been hit with priapism. This is horrible. Is it a known side effect of coming off Zoloft. I am a 68 year old female. Help! I have been on Zoloft for over five years have not cut my dosage down to half the original.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.
The treatment of choice for female priapism is the use of pseudoephedrine and pain medications. Depending on where you live, it may be necessary to have a prescription for pseudoephedrine. This medication used to be over the counter but since it can be diverted for illegal uses, now most states restrict sales.
So if you have an established primary care doctor or gynecologist, they should be able to prescribe the necessary medications for you.
I hope you get relief soon. This is a very painful condition.
Please let me know if I can clarify anything or provide more details.