Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My husband and I are Ttc and used ovulation made sure we had

Customer Question

My husband and I are Ttc and used ovulation made sure we had lots of sex during the right times I am now 10 days late my period has always been regular and never more than a couple days late but home pregnancy test is still negative could I still be pregnant?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
A good pregnancy test done right will almost always be positive by 1 week after a missed period, so pregnancy seems very unlikely.
It's more likely that you didn't ovulate this month, since ovulation is what brings on a period 14 days later.
Ovulation tests are more likely to be wrong than pregnancy tests. Although you've never been later more than a few days, it's not unusual once a woman is in her 30's that she miss an occasional ovulation. It might be due to stress or something else.
You could confirm it by seeing your doctor. A blood test for hcg would confirm that you're not pregnant, and a blood test for progesterone would confirm that you haven't ovulated.
Since you usually never miss periods, you can probably wait for your next period to come, and then start ttc again. If this happens again, you could talk to your doctor about using pills to help you to ovulate.