OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Can breast pain be related to a pinched nerve in my neck?

Customer Question
Symptoms: Pain in neck Pain...
Can breast pain be related to a pinched nerve in my neck? Symptoms: Pain in neck Pain from neck goes into left shoulder & shoulder blade Pain goes down left side in ribs Pain goes into side of breast & underneath it Breast feels heavy and slightly larger
than right breast I really think my discomfort is from a pinched nerve, but I'm still scared about the different possible causes. Please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text or Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
6/10/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Is the pain in your breast related to your menstrual cycles?
How long have you had breast pain?
Have you seen a doctor and had a breast exam?
I'm sorry, but I don't do text or video calls. Thank you.
No problem about video call. I saw that option was available and thought I'd give it a shot.I don't think this is related to menstrual cycle. This pain/discomfort is pretty consistent. Plus, I am on a three-month birth control pill--Amethia--and I'm on the first week of my second month. No period anytime soon.I've had breast pain pretty much my entire menstruating life. I have a history of fibrocystic breasts, and my Mom did, too.I see my obgyn tomorrow for my annual exam.
I have the most discomfort in my side on my rib. I think the pain in radiating into my breast, but it feels swollen and "in the way." When I lay on my stomach it feels like I'm laying on a wooden board.
Pain radiates into my arm and shoulder, too.
I just get very scared about breast cancer.
Breast pain is common. The good news is that it rarely is caused by breast cancer. Especially at your young age, breast cancer is far down the list of possibilities.
A pinched nerve is a fairly common cause of breast pain. Since your pain seems to come from the neck and goes down to the shoulder, arm and chest, I suspect that a pinched nerve is likely the cause.
Your doctor will be able to tell much from your history plus an exam. Assuming no breast abnormalities are found, there are tests that can help to determine whether you have a pinched nerve, such as nerve conduction studies and MRI. If found, a pinched nerve can be treated by avoidance of certain activity, physical therapy, and sometimes by injections or surgery.
It's common for one breast to be larger than the other, and also for there to be some pain from fibrocystic breasts, so there may be some combination of that with a pinched nerve.
A mammogram can be done if there is any suspicion of breast cancer, but I suspect it won't be necessary unless it's to reassure you that this is not breast cancer.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN