OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

About a yr ago, I went to the ER because of crippling men's…

Customer Question
About a yr ago, I...
About a yr ago, I went to the ER because of crippling men's trail cramping and extremely heavy blood flow. No normalities were found. My reg. Gyn did a pelvic exam and other tests then ordered a pelvic ultrasound and blood tests. Still nothing. He put me on Norethindrone for a year and that stopped all pain and cycle completely! Yay! 2 months ago, the Dr. and I decided to stop the Northindrone. Now, I just had my 1st cycle in over a year and it was pain free. The following 3 days I was izzy and light-headed. Then, on the 3rd day after my cycle completed, ER level pain again. 12 hrs of pain, then a blood clot expelled. No more pain or blood flow. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH ME? (I'm 47 yr of age)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Basu, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor
Hi there,
This is Dr. Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
This is indeed frustrating.
Norethindrone is a progesterone and that resolved your issue.
So you are likely progesterone deficient.
This happens when you do not ovulate well.
Ovulation results in corpus luteum formation which produces progesterone.
So you have more estrogen and low progesterone.
This imbalance exists even at age 47.
So you experienced the symptoms.
Now, this may not be a long lasting problem since you are in perimenopausal age.
But this cannot be predicted.
In case the symptoms are persistent, you will likely need to go back to norethindrone.
And a pelvic ultrasound also should be done to rule out any endometrial hyperplasia.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor