Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My daughter is 23 and it appears when she has a period she

Customer Question

My daughter is 23 and it appears when she has a period she is not completely shedding her lining.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Why do you say that she is not shedding her lining?
What are her periods like?
Does she take any medications? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It showed on an ultrasound after her period that it was still thicker . Her periods are sometimes 40 days 45 days and then she had one that kept spotting but brown stuff She is not on any medicines
With periods of 40-45 days, your daughter probably isn't ovulating much. That's the reason that she isn't shedding her lining, since ovulation causes the hormonal changes that result in complete shedding of the lining. When the lining doesn't shed well, then the spotting and brown stuff is common.
Some progesterone pills will help her to shed the lining, and then the spotting will clear up.
In the future, she could take either the pill or periodic progesterone to prevent build up of the lining. When she wishes to become pregnant, she might need some help for ovulating, but that's not difficult. Best wishes to you both.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you She was worried about being put on provera or the pill plus scared of a hysterectomy cuz I had cancer.
Provera is progesterone, and it won't increase her chance of cancer (It will decrease it).
There is no reason at this time to think that she'll need a hysterectomy.
Not ovulating over a long period (many years) can lead to uterine cancer, but progesterone will prevent it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Aproximately how many years without ovulating would it for it to turn cancerous. She was in college away from home under extreme stress when she talked about this.
There is no way to say how many years.
The extreme stress may be the reason she doesn't ovulate. If the stress gets better, she may begin ovulating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that is good to know she has been worried to go in cuz my endometrical cancer they took my cervix and ovaries too
She is too young to worry about endometrial cancer. The Provera will prevent it from happening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you so much! You have been so helpful.
You're welcome. Please click the ratings button. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see a ratings part on my phone. Would it show up on a bigger screen maybe?
I think so. If you have a problem, click on the Help button.