Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am trying to stop breakthrough bleeding. On day 25 of first

Customer Question

I am trying to stop breakthrough bleeding. On day 25 of first pack of minastrin
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Did you start the minastrin early during a period?
How were your periods before starting the pill?
How heavy is the breakthrough bleeding? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I started the minastrin on the first day of my period because it was a Sunday.
My periods were regular but extremely heavy before . That's why I'm on the pill not pregnancy.
I have to wear a pad or slim tampon 2 times during the day
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For the btb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My boyfriend is coming in 1 week and I only see him a few times a year! Please help thanks!
Minastrin is a very low dose pill, so it's not surprising that you have some breakthrough bleeding the first month or two. Fortunately you're on day 25, so that means you've started the placebo pills. You'll now get a period, and most likely the bleeding will all stop once you start your next pack.
In case the bleeding doesn't completely stop after 2 days on the new pack, you could double up on the pills until it stops. That should take care of it, but I doubt it will be necessary.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I'm on day 20 so not on placebo pills yet. Can I double up now to stop btb?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was going to take 2 packs back to back so I didn't get my period. My dr he said that was ok to do once in a while
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I double up, do you recommend taking them at the same time? Or 1 in the morning and 1 at night? Thank you.
You could double up, but it's important that you let your period come and not take the packs back to back this month.
Part of the way that the pill makes periods lighter is by letting the uterine lining clean out well with the period. Probably at least part of the reason you had heavy periods before was due to a thick lining. Until that lining thins out (from having a period), you'll probably continue to have breakthrough bleeding.
Once you've been on the pill for a couple months, then you can try taking packs back to back. If you try before you've gotten lighter periods, you'll likely have significant breakthrough bleeding.
If you double up, I would recommend taking them twice daily, although either way would probably work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you - I appreciate the educated explanation. Can I stop taking the pills now and let my period come 5 days sooner?
You could do that, but if you stop before taking them for 21 days, you may lose pregnancy protection. Since you say that's not important, stopping now, waiting 4 days (or taking the 4 placebo pills), then starting a new pack should work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last question: if I do that, should I double up if I continue breakthrough bleeding when I start the new pack in 5 days?
Yes, but only if you do continue the breakthrough bleeding.
I would give the new pack 2 days, and I predict that your bleeding will stop by then. If not, then double up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! I will try it.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok that wasn't my last question ! Do you think I will get my period right away -
Tomorrow when I don't take the pill? And how do I confirm payment for this?
On the pill, your period will usually start about 2 days after stopping the pill. Probably not tomorrow.
If you rate my answer, then I will get paid.