OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Does cytoec really work

Customer Question
Does cytoec really work
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/3/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. C., Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Hi I'm Dr. C, board certified Ob-Gyne,
Cytotec is a medication that is used for various things. It was developed to reduce the risk of gastric ulcers and treat them. But it's found wide usage by ob-gynes to soften the cervix. This can be useful to induce labor, make certain procedures easier to perform, etc. How well it works depends on the details of the situation, the dosage used and whether it's used vaginally, orally or absorbed through the membranes of the mouth.
So if you'd like to add some details to your question, I can give an answer more specific for your situation.
Well i was advised to use 2 of the tablets orally and insert one in the cervix . Then take another 1 after 8 hrs and finally a last one after 8 hrs. I was also given antibiotics to take after. Would this work ?
What is this being used for? If you're hoping to terminate a pregnancy, the cytotec by itself isn't likely to do it if the pregnancy is otherwise viable. We normally would combine it with either methotrexate or better yet mefipristone. If using it for some other purpose let me know.
it is to terminate a pregnancy . I am 5 weeks pregnant .
The Cytotec by itself is about 75% effective:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18390077
If combined with mifepristone, this increases to 95+%.
The earlier in pregnancy, the more effective whatever method is used.
So being 5 weeks, it's important we're talking "gestational age". That is 3 weeks from conception.
Any other questions?
because my last period started on the 28/04/2015. By using the online pregnancy calcualator i came up with 5 weeks.
ok, good so on the earlier side. With Cytotec by itself, the effectiveness is about 75%. That might not be good enough for you. Do you have access to a Planned Parenthood?
Did you have any other questions for me today?
If done, please leave a feedback rating for my service. I aim for excellent.
Good luck. I hope the Cytotec works for you.
If the cytotec doesn't work what effects would it have on the pregnancy or the baby
Cytotec is considered category X which means that it should not be used during pregnancy. It has an increased risk of certain birth defects:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23207166
But the risk is about 2%. So 98% chance of no problems.
Anything else?
Thanks for the answers
You're welcome. Good luck with this. It's a really tough situation to be in. I hope it works out.
I was glad to be able to give you excellent service.
If done, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified