OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I finished a course of antibiotics 3 days ago and as has

Customer Question
happened to me in the...
I finished a course of antibiotics 3 days ago and as has happened to me in the past 2 days ago I felt a yeast infection coming on. I had some over the counter cream which I used for 24 hours and the symptoms continued to get worse. I also ate a lot of yogurt and took probiotics. The itching and burning was much more uncomfortable than I'd ever experienced and when I looked at my vagina it was VERY red and swollen. I went and bought a 1 day Monistat ovule yesterday and inserted it. I also bought more external cream and an "AZO yeast homeopathic treatment" to take three times a day, which I have been doing. Today I am not experiencing as much discomfort, but have noticed that my vaginal lips and the area below/around them are a whitish color. It isn't that they are covered in discharge, I wiped them and touched them and it is clearly the skin itself. They were not like that 24 hours ago. Since my discomfort is better, should I be worried about the discoloration? What else can I do to help kick this infection?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/1/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
There is a condition called lichen sclerosus in which the area around the vagina has a whitened color. It is often associated with vaginal itching. It's a skin condition that occurs in the vaginal area. We don't know the cause. It can be controlled using specific cortisone-type creams, although it requires continuous treatment or it comes back.
I suspect that you had a yeast infection, which is now resolving, but you likely have lichen sclerosus underlying the yeast infection.
I would recommend that you see a good OB/GYN doctor. Lichen sclerosus can usually be identified by looking at it, although sometimes a biopsy may be needed. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN