OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I took 2 tests HSV-1 and 2 .... Both results were <0.91 what…

Customer Question
I took 2 tests HSV-1...
I took 2 tests HSV-1 and 2 .... Both results were <0.91 what does that mean?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: OB GYN
5/30/2015
OB GYN Doctor: DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST replied 3 years ago
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST
Hello
Genital herpes can be diagnosed by the use of a blood test (serologic testing). Blood tests can detect HSV antibodies even when you have no symptoms of herpes.
The accurate testing for type 2 herpes simplex virus detect IgG antibodies using a method called ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). The test produces a numerical result called ELISA index value.
Officially, index value greater than 1.1 is considered positive.
Index value below 0.9 indicates a negative result. If the IgG test is negative, and at least six months have passed from time of possible infection, you don’t have herpes.
Number between 0.9 and 1.1 is equivocal - antibody to HSV-2 may or may not be present.
Thank you