OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a large swollen what appears to be a blood blister…

Customer Question
I have a large swollen...
I have a large swollen what appears to be a blood blister above the labia at the top of my vagina, I have not had any form of sex or accident. What is it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
5/29/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. C., Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.
It would be most helpful to see an image of it. Is it possible for you to take a photo and attach it using the paperclip icon on the screen?
no I cannot take a picture
Ok, in that case tell me how long it's been there? How big is it exactly (compare it to a dime)? Does it hurt or have any sensation at all? Is it exactly red? or purple? What is the shape? Perfectly round?
perhaps I should go to my physician tomorrow.
for a couple of days it is oval in shape, it burns some and is more purple than red
it would be best to have it seen in person if unable to provide a photo. Purple and ovoid, it probably is nothing serious but a collection of blood under the skin.
Anything else I can help with today?
not quite as big as a pecan but that shape
No thanks I will go tot he doctor tomorrow
That's pretty big size. It may be a varicose vein possibly. There aren't that many things that are purplish. Purple usually mean blood filled.
It's not likely to be anything terribly serious such as a cancer or sexually transmitted disease though. So I hope that's reassuring.
Is it soft? Can you push it down and make it almost go away?
Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified