Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I'm 46. My periods have been pretty consistent since I was

Customer Question

I'm 46. My periods have been pretty consistent since I was 30.
My question to you is that I'm a month late with my period. My last period I did spot a bit afterwards.
My nipples are sore . I really don't feel pregnant though. ( I've had 3) .
Could I be pregnant ? I've had intercoursev with condoms every time and no scares with that .'sooo, what do u think?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.
At age 46, it's common to start skipping ovulation. This is a very common cause of late periods. Because the skipped ovulation causes the hormone levels to get unbalanced, it's also common to have unusual spotting, sore nipples or other odd symptoms.
The best thing to do is run a home urine pregnancy test just to be 100% sure. They are very accurate.
If the period skips continue, the next thing we'd check is for thyroid disorder. This is another common reason for periods to skip as women get older.
If those are both negative, the next thing to do is start tracking the bleeding pattern. Here is a link to a common tracking card.
http://www.cascadewomenshealth.org/download/PDFs/HealthEducation/Managing%20Bleeding/mens_rec.gif
It's also helpful to know what's in the normal range for the pattern and what is a sign of concern that you'd need help with. Here is a link to a handout with some guidelines on what's normal and what's not:
http://www.cascadewomenshealth.org/download/PDFs/HealthEducation/Transitions%20to%20Menopause/Period%20Change%20as%20you%20get%20older.pdf
I hope this information was reassuring and helpful.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Did you have any additional questions about this?
If not, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback.