Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 47 and have no issues pertaining to my annual visits.

Customer Question

I am 47 and have no issues pertaining to my annual visits. My cycle has gone three days beyond my normal cycle which is generally five days. I have no pain but because I never went over five days just wondering if I am going through my change of life. Yesterday I believe I had my first hot flash.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
This longer period and your one hot flash are probably the first signs of the change, which we call perimenopause. This is the time when a woman goes from regular normal periods to menopause, the absence of periods.
Perimenopause can go on for years, during which you may notice changes in your periods, such as longer or shorter periods, some irregularity of your cycles, and perhaps hot flashes, night sweats, etc. Every woman is different as to the symptoms she may experience.
Since this is the first sign you've had of perimenopause, it's likely that you will continue to have more or less regular periods for some time. At some point they will become more irregular, and eventually your periods will stop.
There is more information about perimenopause here http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/perimenopause/basics/definition/con-20029473
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I am due to go to my annual on Monday if my cycle is still here by Friday do I call and cancel.
If your period is still on by Friday, I would probably call and ask if you should re-schedule. They may not be able to do a Pap smear if you're bleeding. The rest of your annual exam can be done. Most women don't need a Pap smear every year.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Norma S. I was a little nervous because my cycle has been like clock work every since I had it except for when I had my daughter and that was clear my cycle completely stopped and I knew I was pregnant before I went to the doctor. Have a blessed day!!!gerring use to the change of life is a scary and unknown place for me!😄🙏🏾
You're welcome. You'll probably have plenty of time to get used to the change, since it often comes on slowly and goes on for a while.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Honestly I was really scared yesterday when I started sweating and felt weird and did not know what to do. I was getting my hair done when I had my first hotflash. My beauticians was nervous and so was my daughter. I went to the bathroom and put water on my face came out the air conditioner was in and I felt better in minutes
That will likely happen more and more in the future. Wearing layers, drinking cold water, water on your face are ways you can deal with it.