Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Just reading the information. I was on the pill and discontinued

Customer Question

Just reading the information. I was on the pill and discontinued it after experiencing a period. I am 46 years of age. No sexual relations since that time and no period. Two negative pregnancy tests. Has been around 65 days. But before I started pill, cycle was irregular at age 44. Am seeing doctor to make sure everything is okay.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To clarify at age 44 I had irregular periods about every 60 days. I went on the pill at age 45 and 6 months until 46 years old. At my last period I discontinued use. I have had no sexual relations since the last period but have not started any period for 65 days. I have taken 2 negative pregnancy tests. I am in the process of seeing a doctor to make sure I am okay. Just somewhat worried.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.
At age 46, it's common for women to start skipping periods. The pills will keep the period regular artificially. So the cycle changes that are common as a woman gets closer to menopause get "masked". The other thing we check for is thyroid disease. That can cause skipped periods and is more common as women get older.
Pregnancy tests are very accurate so with 2 negatives, that's not a likely cause at all.
Usually if the thyroid test is normal and the pregnancy test negative, we'd just watch for now. Other causes of skipped periods include stress, eating disorders, excessive exercise, some medications and a few rarer causes including early menopause.
Can I clarify anything else? I hope this has been reassuring and helpful.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Any additional questions about this?
If not, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks!