OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 27 weeks pregnant and my husband is a fireman. For

Customer Question
Good morning, I am 27 weeks...
Good morning,
I am 27 weeks pregnant and my husband is a fireman. For Memorial Day weekend there was a parade. I was front row in the parade. When my husbands truck passed me the blew the horns and sirens for about 2 minutes. I was about four feet from the truck. The sirens were hurting my ears! I have been petrified that I damaged my unborn baby's ears. I know it was such a short exposure but is it possible to have damaged the unborn baby's ears?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: OB GYN
5/26/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 3 years ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD

No that is not possible. The baby is well protected while you are pregnant. Exposure like this cannot cause any damage at all You do not need to worry.

Thank you. I asked my OBgyn and he said exposure to fire sirens is high in decibels and can cause hearing damage especially bc I was close to the engine. It began to hurt my ears so I walked away. But because it was for 2 minutes, he doubts harm could happen.

There is no chance of harm with that exposure. You were not that close for that long.

The fire engine stopped in front of me for probably two or three minutes. Unfortunately, it didn't just drive by me. I'm a little uncomfortable with the thought that it could damage his ears. Is there any tests that can be done prior to birth to look for defects?
No A hearing test cannot be done prior to birth. The baby is well protected from this type of issue. It cannot cause damage at all. The amniotic fluid protects from sound damage.