OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 47 years old. I have been bleeding from my rectum for…

Customer Question
I am 47 years old...
I am 47 years old. I have been bleeding from my rectum for the last little while, but only while I am having my menstrual period. My last few menstrual periods I have also been bleeding from my urethra, but again only while I am having my period. I have no pain or discomfort. I have researched online and have found that these can be signs of peri-menopause. Is this something I should worry about?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/23/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. C., Board Certified replied 3 years ago
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.
If truly coming from the rectum and urethra, I also think of endometriosis of a cause. Usually perimenopause will not cause rectal or urethral bleeding. Sometimes tissue thinning from low estrogen in the perimenopause and menopause can cause urethral bleeding, but not rectal bleeding.
At any rate, this does require some evaluation. It's not normal and cause should be investigated.
Please reply if I can clarify anything. I hope this was helpful.
Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified