OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 6 weeks pregnant. On my first ultra sound they found…

Customer Question
I am 6 weeks pregnant...
I am 6 weeks pregnant. On my first ultra sound they found one gestational sac measuring at 1.08x.73.79 cm with a yolk sac measuring at .37 cm. there is also a cystic
area measuring .2x.3x.3 cm with surrounding gestational reaction that is suspicious for a second gestational sac. No yolk sac identified perhaps due to early gestational stage...
Opinion was "suspected twin intrauterine pregnancies... Is it normal for one twin to be so far behind?? Very concerned. This is my first pregnancy and we did not use fertility drugs.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: OB GYN
I am also having a lot of cramping and gas.
I also may mention that my HSG level was at 5,000 on Monday.
5/20/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 3 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
It's unusual for one twin to be so far behind. It is suspect for something called the "vanishing twin syndrome", where the pregnancy starts out with twins, but one twin disappears early in the pregnancy. It's not unusual.
However, I would wait until you see the next ultrasound. I suspect either that there will only be one sac, or else the second will be catching up. Best wishes.
Oh no! Vanishing twin?! My doctor never mentioned anything about that :(. The ultra sound was at (5 weeks and 4 days and the next one is tomorrow - 4 days later). If the other twin is catching up at all, is that a good sign??
with a vanishing twin, I would expect the second one to be smaller. If it's catching up, that's definitely a good sign.
Ok... Will be in touch tomorrow :)!
Good. Let me know.