Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I just received my MRI results i want to know how serious is

Customer Question

I just received my MRI results i want to know how serious is it.
MRI Pelvis w/ Contrast Clinical Diagnosis: fibroids Technique and Findings: The uterus is of normal size and slightly anteverted, with a few myometrial lesions of hypointense signal intensity, largest seen on the right side of the fundus measuring around 3.0cm. There is a small subserosal fibroid measuring 0.9cm. At least two additional tiny fibroids are seen at the fundal margin. No endometrial or cervix lesion. The left ovary lies slightly high in the pelvis, it contains small follicular cysts. The right ovary appears unremarkable. No adnexal masses or free pelvic fluid. No regional lymphadenopathy.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Your MRI shows a number of fibroid tumors in the uterus, and is otherwise normal.
The myometrial lesions of hypointense signal intensity are apparently fibroids, the largest on being around 3 cm (just a little over one inch).
The left ovary lies higher than usual in the pelvis, but that probably has no significance. Both ovaries appear normal. There are no enlarged lymph nodes. I hope that's helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am having heavy periods and constant pelvic pain. Is surgery an option as I not planning to have other children
Surgery is often the best option for treating fibroids that are causing bleeding problems. Usually a hysterectomy is best,. The fibroids can be removed, leaving the uterus, but more fibroids often grow to replace the ones removed. And a hysterectomy is usually a simpler procedure than removing multiple fibroids.