OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I was admitted to hospital last week and treated for a PID

Customer Question
My name is***** was admitted...
My name is***** was admitted to hospital last week and treated for a PID with antibiotics and pain relief. I had extremely bad pelvic pain and a bad smelling discharge (mucus & old blood) and tine frequency. But my bloods and cultures and urine test showed no infection. I do have Adenomyosis, but I didn't believe it could make me feel this sick. Can Adenomyosis cause such bad symptoms or do you think something else could be going on. I also had a fever, but was experiencing chills. I was given morphine and endone for the pain. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/7/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
Adenomysosis does not cause fever and chlls. Often when a diagnosis of PID is made, cultures from the cervix are negative. This is because the organism has already ascended into the pelvic organs. PID is not necessarily due to a sexually transmitted disease but can also be caused by other bacteria, specifically anaerobes. They are hard to culture. Blood cultures often may be negative even though they may be present. Blood cuttures are more likely to be positive if taken during a fever.
I've seen two gynos in the past week and both have told me completely differing opinions. The first one advised that she doesn't believe that I had a PID but needs a D n C. The other more experienced gyno also said that I didn't have a PID and a D&C won't help, and my symptoms would have subsided with time, which I find hard to believe given how severe they were. I am having another ultrasound and a CT to check everything out. I'm not sure who to go with. I have a 7cm cyst in the uterus which I've been advised is of no real concern by the radiographer and GP, but the more experienced gyno says it is? I guess I'm getting a lot of conflicting info about what's going on and I'm not sure who to believe? I also have mucus cysts on my cervix, which weren't their 12months ago & a negative Pap smear in 2015. My long term gyno/oh is the older more experienced one. But the other gyno is younger and specializes in gyno work only. Any advice would be appreciated? And one other question ー is it best to have a hysterectomy earlier than later if you are experiencing problems? I can't tolerate the pill or Mirena? My long term gyno has advised that this is what I should do? Thanks again Kerrie
No idea why you would need a d and c.. A fever would almost always indicate infection unless you did not have a fever (over 100.5) A 7 cm cyst is huge and of big concern. Are you sure it is not 7 mm?
Mucous cysts on the cervix are Nabothian cysts and are normal structures.
I am not sure what you would mean by having a hysterectomy early vs late. If you want a hysterectomy or you need one for some reason, I am not sure why you would delay it. If your gyn has valid reasons for advising it, then go wit the recommendation.
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD