Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had hsv1 genitally for years. I recently had an

Customer Question

I have had hsv1 genitally for years. I recently had an encounter where I was very sure I must have contracted hsv2. This involved sex with someone who has hsv2. I immediately felt strange the day after and have ever since. I finally reached the 3 month mark where I figured a blood test would indicate whether I had it. So I had an IgG test done. Strangely, the results came back negative for type 2 which is baffling to me. Also, I'm not sure what it means - but my type 1 level was very high (above 50). Can anyone make sense of this?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.

In what way have you felt strange?

And you have felt this way every day for several months?

Did you develop a herpes sore?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had typical herpes symptoms (tingling around buttocks/thighs, a feeling of something oozing around the top of my butt, etc). I have had sores in the same places where I used to get my hsv1 genital sores but the frequency of them & other symptoms are so much stronger since this incident. Recently I have also had a rash around my buttocks.I have some days where I feel a little better & some where I feel worse. But I seem to be having symptoms about 3/4 of the time despite being on Valtrex, etc.

It would be extremely unusual for the symptoms that you describe to be due to HSV2.

It is very unusual for herpes symptoms to develop the day after an exposure, The average time to onset of symptoms is about 4 days after exposure It is possible for the symptoms to start as soon as 2 days after exposure, but it would be very difficult for the virus to grow at a speed to allow for onset of symptoms the day after exposure.

It also would be very unusual for symptoms to be present most days of the next 3 months after exposure, even if not on Valtrex, but it would be even less likely if taking Valtrex.

Since the symptoms are atypical for a new infection from HSV2, it is not surprising that the blood test for HSV2 antibodies is negative.

When symptoms develop a day after an exposure, it is more often due to an inflammatory reaction, and it is possible that this inflammatory reaction is causing an exacerbation of the pre-existing HSV1 infection. The rash that you describe could be due to the inflammatory reaction.

Do you have a picture of the rash?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No unfortunately I do not. The rash feels like it is right around the opening of the anus so it is very difficult for me to take a picture of it.

I am sorry, but when you said that you felt oozing at the top of the buttocks and a rash, I thought that the rash was near the sensation of oozing.

Assessing the rash is an important step in identifying what type of inflammation may be present. It may be necessary for you to see your doctor when the rash is present.