Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I had sex 48 hours ago and now have colored areas inside my

Customer Question

I had sex 48 hours ago and now have white colored areas inside my vagina that are painful when I urinate. It looks like the internal skin is irritated and there are no other symptons.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.

White areas inside the vagina that are painful when urinating sound most like genital herpes. I would recommend that you see your doctor for a herpes culture to know.

In the meantime, sitting in warm water with epsom salts would be both soothing and healing.

If it is herpes, there are pills that can help it to resolve sooner.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you describe what they look like? The areas started out as small red streaks and then became white yesterday. Can heroes appear within 48 hours if having sex and do they appear inside the vagina?

Herpes can appear within 48 hours of having sex. They can appear either inside or outside the vagina.

Usually genital herpes will be small white or red ulcerations. They are usually not streaks, so maybe it's something else.

Your doctor will be able to tell better by looking at them. But a culture may be needed to be sure one way or the other.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you send a photo of what they look like? Is this curable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also could this type of issue be caused by unlubricated sex and be abrasions?

Here is one picture of genital herpes http://img.medscape.com/slide/migrated/editorial/cmecircle/2002/1990/richwald/slide13.gif

It's slightly possible that it could be caused by abrasions, but that seems much less likely.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. The white marks I have are not raised and are not circular. They appear to be dis colored areas of my vagina which are painful when I urinate. Are there other symptoms I should be aware of?

Not raised is usual for herpes. Herpes may be circular or elongated.

The main symptoms are ulcers that are painful on urination.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how is this treated and will it come back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I send you a picture?

It's treated with warm baths using epsom salts, plus anti herpes pills.

You can send a picture using the paper clip.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The white mark is now almost gone. Here is a puc

It looks like it could be herpes, but it's hard to tell from a picture. If a doctor looks at it, he/she will be able to tell better.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would it go away this quickly without treatment? Will this come back or does it go away after medication?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also do the ulceration a bleed?

Have the white areas disappeared?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they are totally gone. What does this mean?

I think it means that it's not herpes. It probably also means that it's nothing serious. Perhaps it was just a local reaction to something. But since it's totally gone now, I would think you can forget it.