OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

A couple of months ago start 120mg ER Verapamil for migraine

Customer Question
prevention, have not had menstrual...
A couple of months ago start 120mg ER Verapamil for migraine prevention, have not had menstrual since.
Is this side effect of Verapamil?
Took 10 day course of Provera, was told period would start within a couple of
days after last dose, it has been a week, still no period.
What are possible causes? I am 45 and no symptoms of menopause.
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
5/2/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

I don't think that the Verapamil has anything to do with the missed periods.

It's unusual that your period hasn't started 1 week after finishing Provera. It suggests that this might be menopause. That would be unusual with no symptoms, but possible.

Your doctor could help to determine if this is menopause by a blood test for FSH, which tells whether your estrogen level is very low.

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified