OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Was just at the OBGYN because I felt a bump which turned out

Customer Question
Hi...was just at the OBGYN...
Hi...was just at the OBGYN because I felt a bump which turned out to be a sebaceous gland. I was told warm compress and bacitracin no big deal. That same day I got my period. The following day I felt my vagina on the outside start to itch....no burning or discharge (but my period). I used the monistat 1 day last night and the external cream. Not sure if it's making a difference. I typically use tampons, but now I'm using pads. I had my second child 8 months ago and I was tested for everything, so no STD. Could it be yeast or something else. Oh I also just got over a stomach bug.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
5/2/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD

The combination of a bump and itching could be herpes. I would consider going back to the gyn to be tested. A swab of the lesion can be done. A yeast infection is generally accompanied by some discharge and often burning. It does not sound like that is the case. You may also be getting itching from the Bacitracin. Its not the best to use in that area and will not cure a sebaceous cyst.

I have had 2 children and been blood tested for herpes and i do not have that.
The sebaceous cyst up higher and the itching is down by the vaginal opening. Also I put tea tree oil on the cyst and I did stop. It is going away. I used Monistat externally on my vagina and the itch seems to be lessening a little.

Monistat does help most itching even if not yeast related. To treat most yeast infections, you must use the treatment intravaginally for at least 3 days.

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified