OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

This post is SUPER but I need help. On 10/25/14 I had brief

Customer Question
Hello, This post is SUPER LONG...
This post is SUPER LONG but I need help. On 10/25/14 I had brief (15 min) unprotected sex with a black man (HIV status unknown) & I'm a black woman. He started out protected BUT couldn't hold an erection so we had unprotected sex. On 10/30 I went to my PCP because my lower back was hurting & I thought it was a kidney/bladder infection. She said I was dehydrated & told me to drink liquids..& I did. On 11/01 I started bleeding & bled for 4 days. My cycle wasn't due til 11/7 so I thought I was pregnant. My cycle is like clockwork....every 20-24 days & it lasts 5 days. After 11 pregnancy tests & no 2ND period in Nov (remember it started on the Nov 1st-4th so it shouldve started again on the 25th-29th) I saw my OBGYN on 12/3....in between this time I was having abdominal pain, change in bowels (loose vs firm), & morning nausea which would subside by afternoon & I burped alot. On 12/3 my obgyn did a blood pregnancy test which showed my hcg at 1.5 & she said I wasn't pregnant. She checked my cervix during the visit & I started bleeding & I bled through 12/7. She did a vaginal ultrasound on 12/8 & found a small fibroid & said no worries. I had my cycle again on 12/27 but it only lasted 3 days although it was inside of my range of cycle dates it was 2 days short. So on 12/20 I was rubbing my neck & found a swollen lymphnode about 2 inches from my jaw line on my right side & on 12/28 I felt another one behind my ear on my left side.  I went to my PCP on 1/5/15 because of the lymph nodes & she disregarded both as non-HIV related & prescribed Xanax. My neck is sometimes stiff & for 2 days this week my gums were sore. I had night sweats the whole month of December & have loss about 12lbs with loss of appetit. I tested negative for HIV on 11/14 with a blood draw @ my PCP & tested negative again on 12/27 @ local clinic with a rapid test. All STD panels are negative thus far. I still have stiff neck pain & the night sweats  aren't as heavy as before. What gives
???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/22/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
The symptoms you are concerned about as being worrisome for hiv are not hiv with negative testing. If hiv was causing night sweats and weight loss, one of the tests would be positive as you would have a high viral load.
I hope you were testing for gonorrhea and chlamydia, both can cause abnormal bleeding. In addition be sure you were tested for hep b and c and syphilis.
If these are normal, there is another cause for your symptoms unrelated to the episode of sex in question.
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD