How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.M.D.Mazumdar Your Own Question
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 9033
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my male ( Im a female) infected me with gardnerella

This answer was rated:

Can my male ( Im a female) infected me with gardnerella vaginalis. I have only one partner . Never had any problems until confused because some articles are saying that not really, some that definitively, YES!

Welcome and thank you for your question.
Your partner cannot infect you with gardnerella. Gardnerella is a bacteria which is naturally present in the female vagina. When a woman's vaginal ph level goes down due to some casue, the gsrdnerella grows abundantly giving rise to the condition known as BV. Once you take metronidazole, the level of Gardnerella goes down to its normal levels.
Males cannot infect women with gardnerella.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 9033
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you
Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.
Actually I have a bit of correction here...
Gardnerella also known as BV - Bacterial vaginosis usually grows from the Normal vaginal bacteria when the pH becomes ELEVATED (not low) and this occurs many times after a woman has had sex - as the sperm /semen can cause an elevation in the pH level - and hence this can cause the normal vaginal bacteria to overgrow....and the treatment is Flagyl (also known as metronidazole) but this antibiotic does not change the pH level - it just kills off the extra bacteria to a more normal level. To help with a pH level - you would use an over the counter product that is a Probiotic that contains Lactobaccillis acidophilus and a name brand for this is called RepHresh vaginal gel.
Also just to let you know - elevated pH (acid base levels) - can cause BV
Lower pH levels (more acidic) can cause yeast (fungal / thrush) infections.
I hope this helps
Please click on EXCELLENT
thank you