Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I am experiencing menstrual-type and ovulation-type cramps

I am experiencing menstrual-type and ovulation-type cramps for a couple of days after intercourse.
Some info. about me:
*I am 37
*I have one child (born almost 3 years ago)
*My husband and I are ttc now--this is the second cycle trying
*I am on cycle day 12, I pretty much ovulate on day 14--I chart and use ovulation tests, so I am pretty certain of this, also get mittelschmerz near ovulation time
*We had intercourse cycle day 5, 7, and 10 -- some discomfort the next day each time, this last time for 2 days
*Last cycle, I started heparin injections, low dose aspirin, and progesterone a few days after ovulation, stopped with negative beta test
*I have a diagnosed clotting disorder and must take the anticoagulants to prevent early miscarriage; no testing has been done to indicate that I need the progesterone--I took 400mg/day in capsule form last cycle, suppositories with previous pregnancy
*I have a retroverted uterus
*I have fibroids, small and do not cause me discomfort during periods or any other time
*last gyn. check-up was July
*I have know other known gynecological issues
Thank You
Dr. Owen : Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.
Dr. Owen : hello
Dr. Owen : can you tell me why you are on those medications such as progesterone, heparin and asprin?
Dr. Owen : thank you
Dr. Owen : please be specific as to why?
Dr. Owen : which blood clotting disorder do you have?
Customer:

I take the heparin and aspirin, because I have a protein S deficiency which causes me to lose pregnancies before 5 weeks. When my body detects a pregnancy, clots form in my uterus and the pregnancy is "kicked out." I do not have clotting problems when I am not pregnant. I do not have a specific reason for taking the progesterone. I have not had my levels tested. I only take these medications after ovulation and do not continue if not pregnant.

Dr. Owen : I know about the Thrombophilias I just want to make sure you were taking for the right reason, you are.
Dr. Owen : Okay, so what is your specific question?
Dr. Owen : thank you
Customer:

Yes, you were the expert who suggested I have thrombophilia testing done back in 2010. I did, was diagnosed, treated, finally had a baby. Here is my current question:

Customer:

I am experiencing menstrual-type and ovulation-type cramps for a couple of days after intercourse. Some info. about me: *I am 37 *I have one child (born almost 3 years ago) *My husband and I are ttc now--this is the second cycle trying *I am on cycle day 12, I pretty much ovulate on day 14--I chart and use ovulation tests, so I am pretty certain of this, also get mittelschmerz near ovulation time *We had intercourse cycle day 5, 7, and 10 -- some discomfort the next day each time, this last time for 2 days *Last cycle, I started heparin injections, low dose aspirin, and progesterone a few days after ovulation, stopped with negative beta test *I have a diagnosed clotting disorder and must take the anticoagulants to prevent early miscarriage; no testing has been done to indicate that I need the progesterone--I took 400mg/day in capsule form last cycle, suppositories with previous pregnancy *I have a retroverted uterus *I have fibroids, small and do not cause me discomfort during periods or any other time *last gyn. check-up was July *I have know other known gynecological issues Thank You

Dr. Owen : I can see your question, but you have essentially statements, but what is your question?
Customer:

What could be causing the pain in the day (s) following intercourse?

Dr. Owen : you mean every time you have sex?
Customer:

only recently, but yes

Dr. Owen : Is this the first time this has happened?
Customer:

Yes--and I have been with the same partner for the last 8 years.

Dr. Owen : Have you ever been diagnosed with endometriosis because this sounds like endometriosis especially occurring when you are not even ovulating.
Customer:

No, I have never been diagnosed with endometriosis. I don't have heavy periods. In fact, they are very light and short.

Dr. Owen : Okay well endometriosis has nothing to do with period heavieness
Dr. Owen : it has to do more about pain more than anything.
Customer:

Okay, then that was a misconception that I had. How can my ob/gyn screen for endometriosis?

Dr. Owen : so if you are unable to get pregnant I would suggest getting your Fallopian tubes checked with a HSG that would check your tubes.
Dr. Owen : and so ask your ob gyn to check you for this.
Customer:

I don't typically have trouble getting pregnant.

Dr. Owen : as endometriois can blocked the fallopian tibes
Dr. Owen : tubes.
Dr. Owen : but if you can get pregnant then do not worry
Customer:

Could I have developed endometriosis since having my son in Dec. 2010? Does that typically happen?

Dr. Owen : Yes it is possible since you are having pain now.
Dr. Owen : A fertile woman can develop this at any point of her fertile life.
Customer:

Alrightie then, if we don't get pregnant this cycle. I will ask for an HSG. Is there a particular cycle day that I should have the HSG on?

Dr. Owen : Usually cycle day 4 to 5 is when I do them
Customer:

Okay, thank you for your help.

Dr. Owen : You are very welcome