OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I was seen in the ER for severe pelvic pain. I had a CT scan

and ultrasound (transabdominal and transvaginal...
I was seen in the ER for severe pelvic pain. I had a CT scan and ultrasound (transabdominal and transvaginal imaging) I was diagnosed with a UTI and a cyst on my left ovary. In the reports from the hospital the CT report lists "there is prominence of the left adnexa with calcification" and the ultra sound report indicates mildly enlarged left ovary with a cyst; no torsion. The report shows "there is an irregularly 2.1x2.25x2.21 cm cyst. This was on the first days of my cycle.
Can you explain the prominence of left adnexa with calcification? What can I expect with the follow up with my gynocologist?
9/23/2013
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

The adnexa just means the ovaries and fallopian tube.

Dr. Owen :

The cyst you have is Not really large enough to be concerning....

Dr. Owen :

As it is not stopping the blood flow (otherwise there would be torsion), and this does NOT appear to be big enough to where there would be a cancer.

Dr. Owen :

So what is usually suggested is a Repeat Ultrasound in about 6 to 8 weeks, and more than likely the cyst (prominenece) will usually have been resolved by then.

JACUSTOMER-ak64bmos- :

Would there be a reason to restrict physical activity - I am in a cardio kick boxing class and a running club-

Dr. Owen :

no, you do NOT need to restrict activity.

Dr. Owen :

you can still do the kick boxing -

Dr. Owen :

you should be fine

JACUSTOMER-ak64bmos- :

Great. I appreciate your explanation and feel less anxious about it. Thank you for your time.

Dr. Owen :

you are welcome

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

We appreciate Positive ratings and feedback for helping you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

JACUSTOMER-ak64bmos- :

I certainly will!! Thanks. Have a great day

Dr. Owen :

:-)

Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)