Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

Ovulation tests... I have irregular periods. I might have 2

Ovulation tests...
I have irregular periods. I might have 2 a year on my own (without the assistance of provera or birth control pills, etc..) I just had a natural period a few weeks ago and started using an ovulation kit around day 10. To my surprise, my ovulation test in the morning of day 14 said that I had an LH surge. I'm polysistic and have a hard time getting pregnant on my own (due to not ovulating)... I am on day 23 right now. My question is, does this LH surge that the ovulation stick detected mean that I certainly ovulated a few days after? Can there be any mistaking that? Can irregular women have an LH surge but not drop an egg? If it is certain that I did ovulate... if I don't conceive, will I for sure have a period on schedule (around day 28-30), or is there a chance (because I'm irregular) that my body won't shed the lining with a period and return to the very irregular (status) periods?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

The Ovulation kit / stick indicates that you Might have ovulated - the LH is a hormone that triggers the hormone FSH - follicle stimulating hormone, and the FSH then triggers the ovary to release an egg (hence what we call ovulation).

Dr. Owen :

So Usually ovulation occurs within 24 hours of the LH surge - now whether or not you ovulate - that is hard to predict because women with PCOS might have a LH surge, but an egg might not release because the capsule around the ovary is too thick and hence the egg can not release sometimes.

Dr. Owen :

Yes you can have LH surges and not release an egg, but you Might.

Dr. Owen :

If you don't conceive -you might or might not have a period - there really is no way to predict this with PCOS women - so if you do Not get a period 14 days later, do a Pregnancy test - You might just be be pregnant.

Dr. Owen :

I wish you the best.

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

Thank you