OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Anything I can do to make an upcoming routine gyn

appointment less scary or painful?...
anything I can do to make an upcoming routine gyn appointment less scary or painful?
8/16/2013
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Well there is nothing to be scared about - honestly

Dr. Owen :

We as ob/gyn's are NORMAL people

Dr. Owen :

we have kids

Dr. Owen :

we have spouses

Dr. Owen :

we are normal people

Dr. Owen :

so do NOT put the doctor in a white coat and a pedastal - just think of the doctor a 'friend' and TALK to your friend

Dr. Owen :

the word doctor means Teacher - so we are there to help you

Customer:

I'm scared of the doctor touching me

Dr. Owen :

and a pelvic exam - honestly - this is nothing worrisome.

Customer:

it hurts

Dr. Owen :

We as ob/gyn's do 20 plus exams per day

Dr. Owen :

IF it hurts - then your doctor can give you an antianxiety medication to take PRIOR to the exam - such as Lorazepam or Xanax - JUST one pill an hour prior to getting an exam

Dr. Owen :

this will help you to relax so it is not painful

Dr. Owen :

the exam should not be painful -

Customer:

ok, I'll try that........

Dr. Owen :

it is more anxiety than pain that you are feeling

Dr. Owen :

I give this prescription of ONE pill many times to women just like you - and then you can relax and get the exam you need.

Dr. Owen :

you should be absolutely fine.

Dr. Owen :

I assume you never had children - usually women who have had children do not concern themselves with annual exams.

Customer:

it is painful due to abnormal amounts of hypersensitive nerve endings and blood vessels that aren't normally there for someone like me...........who has a physical disability

Dr. Owen :

what disability?

Customer:

I'm suppose to be paralyzed in this area and numb..................spina bifida

Dr. Owen :

I exam women all the time with Multiple disabilities - and just using one of those medications I suggested really helps

Dr. Owen :

I have taken care of many women with spina bifida

Customer:

ok, I'll try that

Dr. Owen :

Just try Ativan, Lorazepam, or Xanax - one pill one hour prior to the exam and you should be fine

Customer:

and, no, I have not had children

Customer:

k

Customer:

that whole concept is too overwhelming to consider

Dr. Owen :

I understand - but we as ob/gyn's do this every day

Dr. Owen :

and I would see an ob/gyn for this exam - not a GP or family doctor - see a doctor like myself who do these exams all the time, multiple times per day -

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Owen :

and think about the medications I suggested

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Customer:

I will

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT
thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)

it's over and I'm glad..............was very scary and painful........

I am so happy for you

But I still am sore "down there" from the exam........what can I do about it? how long will it hurt like this? It's been a constant reminder of what I had to go through yesterday.

okay so you are Not done and over then - I'm confused?

sorry. I had the exam yesterday morning. but I still am in pain from the exam. can I do anything to make the pain go away so I don't have to think about it anymore?

what have you tried?
What medications do you have available at home?

I'm just gritting my teeth and baring it so far.............I've got tylenol and advil for sure

This is pain / soreness Inside your vagina?

um......................................I think.................I'm not use to feeling anything in that area, so I'm not sure where the pain is coming from

Well as for the Advil - you can use 600mg every 6 hours, PLUS you can ADD Tylenol 1000 mg every 6 hours.
In addition you can try an over the counter medication called Vagisil - this might help you.

do I have to apply vagisil or take it?

you apply it

oh.................it won't hurt to apply it, will it?

Well hard to say...I'm just trying tell you what might help you.
if you want stronger medication and pills - then you will need a prescription to Tramadol (Ultram), Percocet or Vicodin

ok, thanks

you are very welcome
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)