OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have flakes every time I wipe when I use the bathroom. It…

I have brown flakes every...
I have brown flakes every time I wipe when I use the bathroom. It doesn't itch it doesn't burn it doesn't hurt it doesn't discharge. It's been going on for months now and I never really paid it any mind (I haven't been sexually active in a bout a year). Is this something to be worried about? Also I was on monistat 3 hoping it would help but I still have the flakes. They almost look like dead skin cells.
7/29/2013
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen :
Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.
Dr. Owen : Hello
Dr. Owen : Well since you are 23 this does NOT sound concerning
Dr. Owen : I do have some questions...
Customer: Hi Dr Owen! Can you help?
Dr. Owen : Do you use any birth control?
Dr. Owen : Are you sexually active?
Customer: No
Dr. Owen : And, have you had a PAP smear - and if so, what is the result?
Customer: I have not had a Pap smear in about a year & a half and everything was fine last time.
Dr. Owen : okay - a normal PAP is good for about 2 years - so that is fine
Customer: I was diagnosed with HPV at 19 had some cells removed and every pap since then came back clean.
Dr. Owen : and do you have normal Periods that you can predict every month?
Dr. Owen : Your PAP is normal now. so that is good.
Customer: Yea my period cycle is on track.
Dr. Owen : And, this is occurring JUST when you wipe after you urinate?
Customer: Yea. It doesn't bother me at all. I guess I only notice it when I wipe because I see skin like flakes on the tissue. Otherwise I just wash it off and go about my day.
Dr. Owen : Well more than likely this is nothing to be concerned about - but to be sure you do not have an UTI - Urinary tract infection or a possible stone in the urinary tract - do a simple UA - Urinanalysis - and you can actually test this yourself with an over the counter product from AZO - you can get this at any pharmacy / drug store, or have your doctor do the test for you
Dr. Owen : But this is not something that sounds concerning at all, so you can relax
Dr. Owen : I hope this helps
Customer: I have noticed sometimes the flakes are there before I wipe.. I used to assume it was buildup of skin cells but I don't think that's normal
Dr. Owen : If you have more questions, please ask
Dr. Owen : Yes it could be a build up clitoral skin
Dr. Owen : Also, you can try to use a pH balancer such as a Probiotic called RepHresh vaginal gel
Customer: If it was uti related wouldn't it hurt when I urinate?
Dr. Owen : sometimes a pH imbalance can cause this too
Dr. Owen : you might not have any pain or anything with a mild UTI
Customer: I have had a uti in the past and used antibiotics to clear it up. And I always had issues when I urinated.
Dr. Owen : I understad
Dr. Owen : sometimes you can have asymptomatic UTIs
Dr. Owen : or this could just be totally normal
Dr. Owen : and dry skin and hence a Probiotic vaginal gel can help - using it every 3 days
Customer: I understand. What else can this be? I've read online it can be a fungal infection too. I know it's not a yeast infection but I tried monistat anyway. But if it is a fungal infection how would I know?
Dr. Owen : Well a fungal infection would itch
Dr. Owen : and usually produces a white discharge
Dr. Owen : a fungal infection is the same as a yeast infection - it is the same thing
Customer: I am kind of a hypochondriac so is there any serious conditions this can be?
Dr. Owen : Well you can absolutely RElax
Dr. Owen : there is nothing serious about this
Dr. Owen : Especially at your age
Customer: At the beginning of this I had slight discomfort and once the buildup would be there over night it would itch but now it doesn't. I'm worried because I let this go on for so long without asking someone or seeing a doctor
Dr. Owen : Do not worry
Dr. Owen : Honestly
Dr. Owen : Follow what I have suggested
Dr. Owen : And you will be fine
Dr. Owen : I wish you well
Dr. Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Customer: What do you suggest I try? The PH balance or the AZO test?
Dr. Owen : Yes, exactly
Customer: Okay thank you !
Dr. Owen : Have a great week
Dr. Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you
Dr. Owen : Thank you
Dr. Owen : Dr Owen
Dr. Owen : You should be able to see the EXCELLENT button
Dr. Owen : Also when you click on EXCELLENT I do answer follow up questions
Dr. Owen : This would be appreciated for helping you
Dr. Owen : Thank you
Dr. Owen : Are you there?
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
I started using RePHresh and this morning I noticed small white bits mixed with the gel after I wiped. Is this normal? Also can I have a PAP done when I'm using this product? I have an appointment tomorrow, I'm super stressed about this.
That is fine and very normal - and you can use the RepHresh daily for two weeks, then after two weeks use every 2 to 3 days to keep the vaginal pH normal.
Don't be stressed - it will be ALL fine.
I wish you well
and tell me how the appointment goes
Bye
How long does it take for the rephresh to kick in? I started treatment yesterday and I have still seen flakes when I wipe.
RepHresh is not really a treatment - it is a method to keep the pH balanced in the vagina to prevent this from reoccurring. So it is okay to see these flakes.
I wish you well
I will be unlikely to answer additional question tonight - I have 3 babies to deliver over the next 4 hours...
Have a good night
I meant I still have the brown skin flakes.. I am sorry to keep bothering you with these questions- I just have no idea what this could be.
I see - try not to be too concerned about the brown flakes - this could just be your body try to get better - as long as you are not having other symptoms such as an unusual odor, bright red bleeding, you should be fine..