OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am 49 years old now, in the past my period was always

normal, and stayed on for...
I am 49 years old now, in the past my period was always normal, and stayed on for 5 days but lately it comes on and be heavy for 3 days then I begin to spot like its going away and stays for past seven days and just spots and I am also experiencing, hot flashes and wake up sweating, and very forgetful I was wondering Is this perimenopause with my cycle
7/29/2013
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.
Your symptoms do suggest that you could be in your pre-menopause.
At this time, the hormonal levels may vary and your period may change - becoming either heavier or the blood flow may decrease. The duration may also vary.
Hot flashes and waking up sweating is another indication that your estrogen levels are decreasing.
Please consult your doctor and ask for a blood test for FSH. A high FSH level will be present at around the time of menopause.
I hope this helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Thank you for the answer it was very helpful and informative

You are welcome.
Let me know if I can help you again.
With Regards.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor