OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

23 weeks pregnant with yellow discharge. Is this signs of

loosing my mucus plug?...
23 weeks pregnant with yellow discharge. Is this signs of loosing my mucus plug?
7/27/2013
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen : Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.
Dr. Owen : Hello
Dr. Owen : No, this is not a sign of losing a mucous plus
Dr. Owen : having discharge like this is actually quite normal and not a concern.
Dr. Owen : Now if you were losing fluid like a thin clear liquid or if you were bleeding then this would be a concern - as this could be leaking amniotic fluid or preterm labor - but your discharge like this is normal.
Dr. Owen : Now, if you have an odor that is 'fishy' - then you might have a simple infection such as BV - bacterial vaginosis that should be evaluated and treated
Dr. Owen : Hi
Dr. Owen : If you have more questions, please ask
Dr. Owen : Also, a mucous plus will be LOST multiple times and reformed multiple times in the same pregnancy - so do not worry about that
Dr. Owen : It is just the bleeding and or clear fluid that is really concerning
Dr. Owen : I hope this helps
Dr. Owen : Please click on EXCELLENTthank you
Dr. Owen : Dr Owen
Dr. Owen : and I am online daily if you need help at any time
Customer: Last night I noticed something fall in the toilet, it was thick almost cottage cheese like and yellow with a speck of red on it. It was no bigger than the size of a half of a pea. It had fallen on a toilet seat cover in the bowl, I'm staying in a hotel. When I went to wipe, I saw nothing.
Dr. Owen : okay
Dr. Owen : well if you are having itching you might have a yeast infection
Dr. Owen : and if fishy then a BV infection
Dr. Owen : but these are NOT really that concerning- but it is something that if you continue have - get this evaluated so that you can get treated -
Dr. Owen : but if nothing new is happening then you can wait until you can see your doctor in person
Customer: Ok, what about the spec of red I saw?
Dr. Owen : the spec of blood - NOT concerning
Dr. Owen : this could be an infection
Dr. Owen : blood that is a LOT is concerning - a spec really is not concerning - honestly
Dr. Owen : I see this all the time
Dr. Owen : and if you have a yeast infection - treat with clotrimazole
Dr. Owen : and if you have a BV infection - you treat with Flagyl
Dr. Owen : I wish you well
Dr. Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you
Dr. Owen : Thank you
Dr. Owen : Dr Owen
Customer: Thank you for your opinion and honesty Dr. Owen. I'm a first time mom.
Dr. Owen : I Understand
Dr. Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr. Owen : and if you have any questions during the rest of your pregnancy
Dr. Owen : Just ask for me
Dr. Owen : Dr Owen
Dr. Owen : I'm online daily to help women just like you
Dr. Owen : Have a great rest of the weekend
Dr. Owen : and you should be able to see the EXCELLENT button near the smile face
Dr. Owen : thank you
Dr. Owen : Do you think I did an EXCELLENT job
Dr. Owen : Are you there?
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)