OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I just received my ultrasound result. The note said that i

Hi, i just received my...
Hi, i just received my ultrasound result. The note said that i have minimal free fluid in the pelvis.......is it normal?? And actually how much free fluid a normal person have??
I really don't understand the meaning of normal bilaterally
7/24/2013
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Welcome and thank you for your question.
Minimal free fluid in the pelvic cavity is normal - this fluid is secreted by the peritoneum to lubricate the organs and collects in the pelvis, the pelvis being the lowest dependant part of the abdomen.
There is no specific normal range for how much free fluid is normal - the amount may vary from time to time depending on the menstrual period. It is more in the 5 days prior to the periods and during the time of ovulation ( 12-21 days).
When the fluid can be measured, it is significant and is no longer mentioned as minimal free fluid.
Normal bilaterally means that the pelvic organs on both sides are normal.
I hope this helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

that means i do not need any further checkup. is that correct??

that is correct. As per the ultrasound report, you have no problems.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor