Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

hi,last night we had unprotected sex and i have taken two

hi, last night we had unprotected sex and i have taken two regular birth control pills today morning and will have two tomorrow. do i still need to have an emergency contraceptive? i am staying in the UAE and emergency pills are banned here that's why i am worried.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Each BC pill contain either 25 or so mcg of progesterone. An emergency contraceptive contains 90 mcg. You need to take 3 BC pills ( if they contains 30 mcg) or 4 BC pills ( if they contain 25 mcg).

Please check your BC pill pack and taken 1 or 2 pills now (since you have already taken 2) and 3 or 4 pill after 24 hours. You can also take 3/4 pills now and 3/4 pills after 24 hours. Pregnancy will not occur.

I hope that helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi doctor,

i cant find the amount of progesterone on the label. i am using "YAZ" pills.

the label says each tablet containing 0.02 mg (as betadex clathrate)

Drospirenone 3mg

I have now taken 2 more pills.

how much should i take tomorrow now. please advise.

Helen,

Drospirenone is a progesterone. Please take 3 pills tomorrow - that should be enough to prevent a pregnancy.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks doctor,

also, kindly advise if i need to take any precautions or any side effects of these pills. how do i minimize the side effects on this.

also, will it bleed after i stop the tabs? and if it does'nt bleed, should i wait for my normal periods. i mean is there any way to be sure before my periods that i wo'nt get pregnant?

thank you and I would appreciate an early response on this.

The main side effects with progesterones are nausea, bloating , some amount of dizziness. These will go away in a day or two.

You may have some amount of spotting after 3-4 days as the progesterone level starts to go down again. But spotting does not occur in all women.

Your periods this month may be a few days later than normal.

I am afraid that there is no way you will know before your periods that you are not pregnant.

Y
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks,

will home pregnancy test help? if so, when should i take it. my periods are due on 27th this month.

Yes, home pregnancy tests are quite accurate.

Please do not tka e it on the day of the periods as your periods may be delayed due to the BC pills. Take the test 7 days after the 27th, in case the periods are missed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks. Just reconFirming. I have taken 3 pills more today. Should I stop now? Also, the dosage of birth control pill that I have taken as per your advise will be as effective as the emergency pill like ipill or unwanted72 right?

The three pills will prevent a pregnancy from occurring and you do not need to take any more. And yes, the dosage of pills will be as effective as the emergency pill