OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am 38 years old and I am on Ortho-tricyclin 21 pack.

Hi, I am 38 years old...
I am 38 years old and I am on Ortho-tricyclin 21 pack. During the summer I usually continue on with the packs without the 7 day rest period so that I can skip my menstrual cycle for convenience. This has always worked however, this time when I did it I still started bleeding at the same time I always do and have been for the past 2 weeks. The first few days of bleeding were very heavy, it has slowed down a bit but is still about a light to medium flow. I have about 4 days left on this pack of pills and cannot get in to see my family doctor till next week. I am wondering if I should continue to finish this pack and go ahead and start the next pack and see if the bleeding stops or if I should stop taking the pills now, wait the 7 day rest period and start a new pack and see what happens however I am afraid that this will make the bleeding become heavy again and last even longer, any suggestions as to what I should do. The only other medication that I am on is Cipral
7/11/2013
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Actually the TRI version really was not designed for this.

Dr. Owen :

So, what you should do is complete the package WITH the placebo week and then start a new package.

Dr. Owen :

What will help is actually using the non-version of the pill such as Ortho cyclen

Dr. Owen :

What are you on Cipral

Customer:

Dr. Owen :

hi

Customer:

thanks for the help, I am on Cipralex for stress after going through a divorce. I will see with my family doctor about perhaps changing the pill to the Ortho cyclin and see of that works better.

Dr. Owen :

okay that is fine and stress / anxiety can cause the irregularity of the bleeding too

Customer:

thanks again for eveything

Dr. Owen :

But if you can get a prescription to the NON-tri version - this would work MUCH better or any non tri medication such as Loestrin, or Alesse

Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)