OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I spotted for three days very tiny bit. And feel weak and

and light headed, this started...
I spotted for three days very tiny bit. And feel weak and and light headed, this started a week ago at night wen I had a metal taste in my mouth and felt dizzy, the spotting stopped but now I have phlegm in chest a d throat and strong cough. I'm suppose to ovulate around these days, teleheath said it could be anemia? Does anema cause these symptoms?
7/11/2013
Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Spotting would not typically lead to anemia. Only heavy bleeding would. Do you have any medical issues or take any medications? How long have you felt ill and when did you start your sinus medication? When was your last period? Is this the first time you've had irregular bleeding/spotting? Are you trying to conceive? If so, how far apart are your periods?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Also, how many days do you typically bleed for during your period? How often do you have to change your pad/tampon?

Customer: This is first time I've spotted. I felt sik for a week now, started with the mattalic taste in mouth. I also noticed i felt dizzy wen in car and and the mattalic taste returned.My periods r never heavy, always on time and last around 4 days and never heavy. I also don't have an appetite.. Don't feel hungry. I know I am not pregnant... What so ever.
Customer: My last period was June 26
Customer: And they come every 28/29 days
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Thank you for the additional information.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Since your symtpoms are relatively recent in onset, most likely you have contracted a virus. Anemia is highly unlikely when you have normal periods as you've described. Only if you were a strict vegetarian for several years would this be a possibility. Given the multiple symptoms you have ranging from your head to your chest, most likely you have a viral infection. You should expect these symptoms to improve and resolve within 10-14 days.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I wish you the best. If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask. If none, please rate my answer. Thank you.

Customer: Thank you!
Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D.