Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I found a dark purple patch on my left breast that was warm.

Customer Question

I found a dark purple patch on my left breast that was warm. That was 2 weeks ago a week ago I went to the doctor because it was still there but not warm just looked like it was bruised. The doctor perscribed an antibiotic cephalxlin. I have been on it for a week the size has gotten smaller and is now a faint pink. Should I be concerned or is the infection getting better?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.

DrK99 :

Hello, this is Dr K. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today. This is likely a bruise or echymosis.

DrK99 :

Sometimes a superficial cellulitis results which is a skin infection. If it is resolving and there is no mass associated with it, there is no cause for concern.

DrK99 :

You should finish the antibiotic, and expect that the lesion will be gone within a week.

JACUSTOMER-u44ogdah- :

What is echymosis? Should I be concerned this is inflamatory breast cancer or pagets? How should I treat this?

DrK99 :

ecchymosis = bruise

DrK99 :

No you should not, inflammatory breast cancer and pagets do not go away with antibiotics. I am assuming you have also had a negative mammogram.

JACUSTOMER-u44ogdah- :

Mamaogram about 5 months ago. It was negative.

DrK99 :

You are good then.

DrK99 :

Expect this to continue to resolve.

JACUSTOMER-u44ogdah- :

Thank you!

DrK99 :

Sure, I hope you feel reassured.

JACUSTOMER-u44ogdah- :

I do!

DrK99 :

Come back any time if you need more help. Thanks for your question.