OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Is it safe for a pregnant women in her first trimester to

Hi! Is it safe...
Hi! Is it safe for a pregnant women in her first trimester to eat pineapple? Or not because it contains bromelains?
6/26/2013
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Yes it is absolutely safe to eat pineapple

Dr. Owen :

that is one of the Most abundant fruits in Hawaii - and everyone eats it down there ALL the time

Dr. Owen :

I would not be concerned about anything when eating pineapple

Customer:

OK! It wasn't on my doctor's do not eat list but I had read some stuff about not eating it on the internet

Dr. Owen :

I understand

Dr. Owen :

but YOU can eat pineapple

Dr. Owen :

when I lived there for 3 years - all my patients ate pineapple all the time - and there was NO problems

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Customer:

OK! thanks so much! so the bromelain in it doesn't do anything?

Dr. Owen :

you are welcome

Dr. Owen :

and do Not worry about that chemical bromelain - it is in such small quantities it will NOT affect you

Customer:

so the bromelain in it doesn't do anything?

Dr. Owen :

You probably would need to eat 1 full pineapple PER day to have any affect

Dr. Owen :

so do not worry

Customer:

OK thanks!

Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)