OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I recently got married, and on our wedding night we

consummated without protection. I guess...
I recently got married, and on our wedding night we consummated without protection. I guess it was the heat of the moment. The next day I took plan B, since we are not ready for children. 3 days later on our honeymoon we of course had unprotected sex again, several times, and each time he ejaculated inside me. I, of course, gave him permission, figuring its alright. Barely, a week later I started getting cramps and went to the bathroom. I discovered I had started my period. It's a very very very light period compared to my normal cycles, when usually I go through 4 super tampons in a day, I am only going through 1 super tampon in a day. I know I'm not spotting because there is no brownish color to my menstrual cycle, instead its bright red. What I'm getting at is after this cycle has ended, is there a possibility I can still be pregnant?
6/26/2013
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Let me read your question....

Customer:

ok

Dr. Owen :

can you tell me how many days PRIOR to your expected period did you have sex?

Customer:

3-4 days.

Dr. Owen :

okay

Customer:

wait....my expected period or the one I have now (which was unexpected)?

Dr. Owen :

Well I do Not think you are pregnant for a couple of reasons

Dr. Owen :

You took the plan B and this will cause you to bleed on average about 2 to 8 days after you take the plan B

Dr. Owen :

Plus you were expecting your period - so the combination of the two tells me you were not going to ovulate so hence I don't think you will be pregnant.

Dr. Owen :

To confirm you are not pregnant - do a Pregnancy test 14 days after the last day you had unprotected sex

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer:

Actually I do....

Dr. Owen :

okay

Dr. Owen :

What are you other questions - I'm here

Customer:

I wasn't expecting my period for another 10 days. The period I have now was completely unexpected which I think was because of Plan B

Dr. Owen :

Okay - you misunderstood my question -

Customer:

yes I did

Dr. Owen :

but if you read my answer too, I said when you take Plan B - you will bleed 2 to 8 days after taking this

Customer:

its easier to do dates

Dr. Owen :

this is called Progesterone withdrawal bleeding

Customer:

Yes, I understand that.

Customer:

So there is still no possible way for me to be pregnant?

Customer:

whether I was 10 days out from starting my expected period or not

Dr. Owen :

Well there is a possiblity, but very Low chance

Customer:

ok so I still need to take a pregnancy test next week just to be sure

Dr. Owen :

and so let me explain a little bit

Dr. Owen :

Normally you would ovulate 14 days PRIOR to your next start date of your next period

Dr. Owen :

so Unlikely you would have gotten pregnant even if you did not take plan B

Dr. Owen :

Plan B just helped you to bleed earlier, and then also lessened the chance of getting pregnant

Dr. Owen :

So I would still suggest a pregnancy test (heck ALL ob/gyn's recommend pregnancy tests - it is what we do)

Dr. Owen :

and, more than likely you are NOT pregnant

Dr. Owen :

I hope that helps

Customer:

That is very true, I haven't been to an ob/gyn in a couple years ( I know it's bad, but currently I don't have health insurance, but will soon now that I am married to my husband who has benefits at work)

Customer:

It helps greatly, just needed to ease my mind a little bit.

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

We appreciate Positive ratings for helping you

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)