OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Can taking "The Next Step" affect an Estrogen and FSH blood

test if my period came...
Can taking "The Next Step" affect an Estrogen and FSH blood test if my period came a week after taking the pill? I am assuming I did not ovulate because the day I was supposed to ovulate I got my period. I dont know how this will affect my blood test.
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2013
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen :
Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.
Dr. Owen : Hello
Dr. Owen : hi
Customer:

hi

Dr. Owen : No, this product, Next Step will NOT affect your blood tests
Dr. Owen : What this product does is cause a high level of progesterone for about 24 to 48 hours, and if you are near ovulation - it will prevent ovulation -
Dr. Owen : But it will NOT affect what is known as Day 3 labs for FSH
Dr. Owen : So if you are set to take DAY 3 blood tests - still take these test
Customer:

I also have an ultrasound scheduled, will this be affected?

Customer:

I dont plan to tell my doctor I took this pill, as it was for personal reasons

Dr. Owen : no this will not affect your ultrasound
Customer:

I know he will wonder why I didnt ovulate.

Dr. Owen : how do you know that you did not ovulate
Dr. Owen : When did you take the pill
Customer:

I was assuming I didnt because I got my period the day I was supposed to ovulate

Dr. Owen : when did you take the Next step pill
Customer:

last sunday

Dr. Owen : and when was your period...
Dr. Owen : when was your period due?
Customer:

got it today but i was not supposed to get it for 2 more weeks

Dr. Owen : okay well you took the next step will cause you to have a period 2 to 8 days after you take it
Dr. Owen : that is expected
Customer:

Thats why I was wondering if I should delay my blood test till my period is normal again

Dr. Owen : WEll you do not need to delay these blood
Customer:

ok thank you so much for your help

Dr. Owen : you are very welcome
Dr. Owen : I wish you well
Dr. Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr. Owen : thank you
Customer:

thank you

Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)