Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I accidentally missed a birth control pill (Im on ortho try

I accidentally missed a birth control pill (Im on ortho try cyclen lo, and im in the third week of dark pills) the night before last, and at that time I was also late on that nights pill. I took both the night before and that nights pill 7 hours after when my alarm usually goes off (didnt go off for the last two nights) but I need to know if I am protected or if I should use condoms for sex or take emergency contraceptive.
Dr. Owen : Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.
Dr. Owen : Hello
Dr. Owen : and welcome
Dr. Owen : Can you tell me how man days ago did you miss the pill?
Dr. Owen : and how many hours later did you take the pill - was it 7 hours later?
Customer:

It was the night before last, so two nights ago. And last night I went to take my pill and it was 7 hours after. At that moment I realized I had missed the other pill

Dr. Owen : So to be sure, you only missed the pill by 7 hours, that is all, correct?
Customer:

yes that it it I completely missed a pill the night before (Tuesday) and when it came to take my second pill (Wednesday) I was 7 hours late

Dr. Owen : okay well you are SAFE - and still protected.
Customer:

should I use a condom for the next 7 days?

Dr. Owen : Because you can actually miss the pill by about 12 to even 24 hours and still be protected as long as you took the pill - which is exactly what you did - so you do NOT need to worry.
Dr. Owen : and you do NOT need to take any extra precautions.
Dr. Owen : Just continue to take your birth control pills and you will be fine and not get pregnant.
Dr. Owen : I hope this helps
Customer:

thank you so much

Dr. Owen : Please if you have more questions, please ask
Dr. Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr. Owen : that would be appreciated - we appreciate a Positive rating for helping you
Dr. Owen : Thank you
Dr. Owen : Dr Owen