OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had a swollen lymph node on my left labium majora it was

there for a week maybe...
I had a swollen lymph node on my left labium majora it was there for a week maybe and then slowly it went away. Right now I have swollen lymph nodes under both arm pits. I read other postings online and have now become alarmed. What could this be?
6/8/2013
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.
- in the labia majora did you have the swollen lymph node? In the lower part, near the vaginal opening? How large was it? was it painful?
- How large are the swollen lymph nodes in the armpits? Are they painful? Do you have any infection in the arms or in the chest area?

i do not have infection in my arms or chest. the lymph nodes were painful when touched. currently i only have swelling under both arm pits and they are somewhat painful when touched, they are small pea sized. I noticed it was only one at first now I have a few under right arm pit and one located under left arm pit...I did have a swollen gland again on my left labia majoa, it is no longer there and it was somewhat painful when touched

Lisa,
Thank you for the additional information.
A swelling in the labia majora is more likely to be caused by a swelling of the Bartholin's gland , rather than a lymph node. This gland opens into the vagina by a small duct which can get blocked due to infection. It is likely that this is what occurred in you - the duct got blocked, the Bartholin's gland swelled up and you had a painful swelling. Once the infection decreased, the duct opened up and the swelling also decreased.
i do not think that the lymoh nodes in the arm pits are related to that of teh Bartholins gland.
Lymph nodes may be normally palpable in the armpits. Normal lymph nodes are about 1 cm in size and are usually not painful unless there is an infection or if the nodes are repeatedly pressed or touched.
Nodes which are palpable on both sides could mean that either there is an infection which has spread on both sides or that you have a blood condition which needs to be diagnosed with a blood test for the blood cell counts.
It could also mean that these are normal nodes and they are painful because you have been touching and pressing them repeatedly.
Please consult a doctor for an examination.
I hope this helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor